FHLBank Atlanta Announces 2020 Funding for Homeowners
Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta (FHLBank Atlanta) announced today that funding for its 2020 Homeowner Assistance Products is now available. The Homeowner Assistance Products are part of FHLBank Atlanta’s Affordable Housing Program (AHP), and are designed to help eligible borrowers purchase or rehabilitate their home.
New for 2020, FHLBank Atlanta has streamlined the homebuyer contribution aspect of its product offerings. For certain products, homebuyers were previously required to contribute $1 for every $4 of funding received, and were also required to contribute a minimum of $1,000 total. The $1,000 contribution minimum remains in effect, but beginning this year the 4-to-1 match requirement has been eliminated. This change impacts the First-time Homebuyer product, the Community Partners product, and the Foreclosure Recovery product, and will result in greater benefits for homebuyers that receive AHP funding.
A summary of 2020 Homeowner Assistance Products is below. To learn more click here:
- First-time Homebuyer Product The First-time Homebuyer Product provides up to $5,000 in down-payment, closing-cost, and principal reduction assistance for eligible first-time homebuyers.
- Community Partners Product The Community Partners Product provides up to $7,500 in down-payment, closing-cost, and principal reduction assistance for homebuyers who are currently employed or retired law enforcement officers, educators, firefighters, health care workers, and other first responders.
- Foreclosure Recovery Product The Foreclosure Recovery Product provides up to $15,000 in down-payment, closing-cost, and principal reduction assistance for eligible homebuyers purchasing properties from the Real Estate Owned inventory of any FHLBank Atlanta member financial institution. -MORE-
- Community Rebuild and Restore Product The Community Rebuild and Restore Product provides up to $10,000 in funding for the rehabilitation of an existing owner-occupied home in a “Major Disaster Declaration” area as designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The homeowner must have at least 30 days of current ownership by life estate or full interest in the fee title and have ownership of the subject property at the time of the “Major Disaster Declaration.”
- Veterans Purchase Product The Veterans Purchase Product provides up to $7,500 in down-payment, closing-cost, and principal reduction assistance for homebuyers who are veterans or active-duty members of the U.S. military, their spouses, or their surviving spouses.
- Returning Veterans Purchase Product The Returning Veterans Purchase Product provides up to $10,000 in down-payment, closing-cost, and principal reduction assistance for homebuyers who are currently serving or have served in an overseas military intervention for any branch of the U.S. military, their spouses, or their surviving spouses.
Since 1997, Homeowner Assistance Products have provided more than $226.5 million in grant funding that has enabled more than 34,000 households to purchase or rehabilitate a home. In 2019 alone, FHLBank Atlanta member financial institutions delivered $18.1 million in home purchase and rehabilitation grant funding, leveraging more than $581.9 million in first mortgage financing to assist 3,216 households.
A listing of member financial institutions is available on the FHLBank Atlanta website at www.fhlbatl.com.
If you need assistance finding a member financial institution to work with, or for more information, call the Bank’s Community Investment Services department at 1.800.536.9650, option 3, option 0.
About the Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta FHLBank Atlanta offers competitively-priced financing, community development grants, and other banking services to help member financial institutions make affordable home mortgages and provide economic development credit to neighborhoods and communities. The Bank’s members – its shareholders and customers – are commercial banks, credit unions, savings institutions, community development financial institutions, and insurance companies located in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. FHLBank Atlanta is one of 11 district banks in the Federal Home Loan Bank System. Since 1990, the FHLBanks have awarded approximately $6.2 billion in AHP funds, assisting more than 911,000 households.